Sunday, September 30, 2012

Simple Refreshing Facial Wash Gel Review


I am always looking for a good face wash, and when I received a nice-sized 1.7oz sample of Simple Refreshing Facial Wash Gel in the mail, of course I gave it a try!

Simple Face Wash Gel


First, The Ingredients: 


Ingredients: Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Panthenol, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate.

Cocamidopropyl Betaine is a synthetic (man-made) surfactant (foam-booster). It can cause allergies in some people. 

Propylene Glycol is a petro-chemical used a skin-conditioning agent. It doesn't pose much risk, but many people are against it because it is a petrochemical and could possibly contribute to carcinogens.

Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose is a harmless synthetic polymer that is often used in eye drops. It prevents evaporation, which is what keeps this face wash at a gel-like consistency. 

Panthenol is synthetic Vitamin B5, which is used as a moisturizer and lubricating compound. 

Disodium EDTA is an agent that binds and removes free radicals and impurities. It is also used as a formula stabilizer. There is a lot of complicated chemistry behind this one!

Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate is a preservative that is often found in "natural" cosmetics. It is a problem because it is known to often be contaminated with formaldehyde, and is also a known skin-irritant. 

So........ WOW! For a brand that is supposed to be "Simple", they sure pack a lot of chemicals into their products! It is a little disturbing for a company that claims to be an expert in sensitive skin to have all these things that are known to cause skin reactions! Kind of scary... and it pays to do your research!!

I found all of my information from ewg.com, or the Environmental Working Group. Many of these ingredients have been contentious in healthy product debates, so I urge you to look them up yourself if you're unsure. I tend to be a little more lenient with products that are getting washed off my skin immediately and therefore don't have the chance to soak in. 

How it Works:


I actually like this face wash, believe it or not. The ingredients might be a little dubious, but it does do a good job. The product is a gel that is clear and feels very silky when you put it on. It does not foam, but lathers only a tiny bit. I find that I have to make sure to scrub it into my nose really good to get all the make up to wash off. Sometimes (but not always) I need to use a separate eye make-up remover to get all of my mascara and eyeliner off.

What I like about this face wash is that it leaves my skin feeling clean and fresh without any kind of a weird tingle or "tight" feeling. It also does not dry out my face, which is a huge issue for me as most face washes leave me having to put on a ton of moisturizer afterward. This one, very "simply", does what it is supposed to do. 

So I'll leave you to make up your own mind. I might buy this product again if it is on sale, but it probably won't be my main one, as I am still trying to move to more real organic products for my skin. 

What is your favorite face wash? What do you like most about it? Please leave me your comments and questions! I love to read them, and I'll be happy to comment you or your blog back! :)

Until next time,
J

*Disclaimer:  I ordered this sample from CVS.com. Simple did not contact me or request a review of this product.

8 comments:

  1. seems a lot of the "natural" products are not all that natural. I love facial gels for skin like mine though...oily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Yeah, the gel consistency is actually really great! I have normal-to-combination skin, and even though this is a gel, it doesn't dry me out!

      Delete
  2. I use the Simple facewipes, I find them really good for sensitive skin. Interesting to see all the ingredients analysed though! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I'm glad you've had luck with the face wipes. This is the only product of theirs I have tried so far.

      Delete
  3. I used to love Simple before my natural beauty days - got through their face wipes like nobody's business! The fact is though, unfortunately, their ingredients list is not so "simple"! My favourite face cleansers at the moment are Spa Fabuous Bliss Cleanser, Antipodes Juliet Brightening Gel Cleanser, and JASON Apricot Scrubble! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I'm looking for a totally organic face wash myself, so thanks for the tips!

      Delete
  4. Oh my! The ingredients have scared me. It is packed of chemicals. I think I would pass on this one for I prefer products with natural substances. My skin is vulnerable and I don't want to feed it with lots of chemicals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hon! Just nominated you for the sisterhood of World bloggers award! Please visit my site to grab the award badge and leave a comment on my site to let me know you got it! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete