Saturday, October 27, 2012

Easy and Delicious Zucchini and Potato Soup

I know it's been awhile, and I do apologize for the long absence. My job has been eating all my time and energy, but I have some time today, so I wanted to share a recipe. I originally found this recipe in the July/August 2012 issue of Health magazine, but I have changed it a little since then. 

Since it is now officially fall and there is a chill in the air, it is the perfect time of year to make delicious homemade soups. I love this recipe because it is not only easy and tasty, but also incredibly healthy and only 152 calories per 1 1/2 cup serving. This recipe makes 4 servings. 


Zucchini and Potato Soup

delicious soup
The steam made it hard to take a picture!

Ingredients: 


1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 minced garlic cloves
1 1/2 tsp curry powder (more if you like it spicy)
3 average-sized golden potatoes, diced
2 medium zucchini, diced
4 cups (32 oz) low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Parmesan or cheddar cheese for garnish (optional)


Directions:


1. Heat olive oil on medium heat in a large saucepan or soup pot.
2. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally for 7-8 minutes.
3. Add garlic and curry; cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add remaining ingredients, and heat to boiling, stir.
5. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes. 


potato soup
So much steam! :)


6. Serve into bowls and garnish with Parmesan cheese or sharp cheddar cheese slices! The cheese makes it even more delicious but it does add extra calories! :)


Enjoy! 


What is your favorite soup for the cold-weather months? I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and comments!

Until next time,
J


Other posts you might enjoy:


Pizza Dough from Scratch
Homemade Tortillas and Chicken Fajitas
Simple Pasta Salad

8 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I love zucchini, so I'll have to give this one a try. Chris is not a soup lover so we don't make too much in our house, but I love soup, my favorite is creamy broccoli, not the healthiest but very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! It is yummy, especially with the cheese on top! I love creamy broccoli too, and most other creamy soups as well! I need to find a good recipe for creamy potato or potato cheese. Matt isn't big on soups as a meal either - he likes them as an appetizer or with something else, but this soup fills me up so fast!

      Delete
  2. It looks so delicious! :) I love soup so much. Been to Romania 4 times and surrvived by eating (the worlds best?) soup. I will give this a try and see how it is! Plus it is healthy too, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comment and the compliment! Let me know how it turns out for you! :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds yummy . . . and you are right, this is the time of year to start thinking about soup :)
    It is nice to see you back at blogging.
    Take care.
    Your blogging sister, Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie! I have been away for a bit, but I'm hoping to get back into blogging and reading blogs in the next few weeks.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to have you link your recipes up here! http://michellesfavoritethings.blogspot.com/p/tuesdays-tasting-party.html

    ReplyDelete